Sunday, June 16, 2013

MacGyver on CAD

Hello friends!  This is a toe in the water of sharing my love for and experience with CAD tools.  For you fellow drafters, modelers, technicians, engineers, heck, even project managers, I hope you find the content I share useful for your day-to-day tasks.

I started at 12 years old, learning AutoCAD on a 16 MHz PC running DOS.  I had a turbo button that would kick it into high gear and take you all the way to (wait for it...) 20 MHz!  Ah, how quickly that little green 8-bit frog went across those lanes on turbo.  Circa 1.44 Mb floppy discs with the lock button.  Love it.

I left my high-brow job at Sizzler's Steakhouse as a sophomore in HS for a position as an in-house drafter where my father managed the drafting staff.  Since then, I've worked on Autodesk and Bentley platforms alike, as well as several others that I've voluntarily chosen to forget.  I appreciate them all (some more than others), but my true love has been in using coding to make them do my bidding.

As one who was primarily a consumer/user of the out-of-the-box tools for my daily CAD tasks, the introduction to the world of key-in scripts and "basic" coding was like going to the colored land of Oz.  I no longer had to type in that list of coordinates, I could build the tool and make the machine turn the crank!  Brilliant.  All of you who have experienced the thrill of seeing their "machine" come to life and work as intended the first time know this deeply satisfying pleasure.

I look forward to sharing my experience with you, and encouraging some of you to not simply think "out-of-the-box," but make "out-of-the-box".  Blow that mother up, then get MacGyver on it with duct tape and bubble gum and make a robot to draw for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment